Monday, April 25, 2011

HTE diary: Art of Decision (2)

Last blog we discussed about how to generate the idea by brainstorming. Now we have plenty of idea but we don't know how to choose the perfect one.

As God of Apple once says, "Making the decision to implement an idea is just as important as making the decision not to implement an idea" (not exact words). This is how we can illustrate the importance of making a decision.

And the most powerful method (but not the easiest one) is to set the priority.

Priority is what you value in your life; studying, money, travel, friendship, relationship, work, family, reputation. It varies from people to people, from time to time.

My priority is here;
1. Study and Research
2. Friends and Relationship

I have only two levels of priority in my life. Sound simple, but actually it is one of the hardest thing in your life that you have to figure out. And I think the key of successful people is how they set the priority and do it accordingly. Some people set the priority from the internal need of themselves, for example, want to be rich, so it is money. Want to love and be loved, the priority might be relationship and friends. Other people set the priority from what is goal of their life, for example, my case, I want to be a professor, that's why I rank academics as the top priority.

How to rank it, it is not like "Okey, study is the top priority because I'm student and I have to do it.". If life is that simple, no one gonna fail in the class for sure. So I think the most effective way to figure out the priority is to look back in your past life, what have you done and gave you the most appreciation.

Then rank it as the top no matter what.

I always feel good when I do best in academics, for example, good record in transcript (I'm so proud of it). I can spend a day and a night working for my research paper without being hungry. When my paper is done, I feel even better than I have got a boyfriend or meeting a friend that I haven't met for so long. This example is pretty extreme, I intentionally make it clear to you how the academics comes to my top priority.

Having a priority list in your life is much better in the way that it would simplify your life a lot. When you come up with a dilemma or situation that requires a decision making. Look at the priority list, weight what you would earn from that action and then decide!



There is no right or wrong for the priority. My closest friend ranks her boyfriend as the top priority, family is the second, and study in the third. When I figure out this, I don't feel down anymore when she refuses us to go eat together after the class but instead heading back home immediately. I understand her. Someone even set only one priority in his life, and in my personal opinion, that's so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers