Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Cloud Computing: when your computer is on the cloud

It might be 20'ish years late for computer to first hear the word, "Cloud Computing" since it is first introduced by Telephony,the first VPN Internet provider. So what is it? I can define the simplest definition of Cloud Computing (from Nano-Engineering view, who usually fight with advance technology) as the IT service that user send the input to program that stored on main computer via Internet, then the program processes and reply the user. It might sound unfamiliar to normal people as us, but by this list of Cloud Computing that I provided below, you might realize how much we are computing on the cloud.


1. Gmail/hotmail/web mail services: this is the easiest example of Cloud Computing which you have your own storage in main server somewhere in the world, where people can send the email to this place and you can excess to this storage wherever you have internet connection. Even in the past, you might need some program as outlook to access to inbox, but now you can excess it from just web surfing, and all the function would show there. So now can you think about another example of cloud computing?


2. Facebook/tweeter/blog and another social network: Sweet! If you can think about them. facebook is very general for us now, where we can chat, upload photo, and make a comment on your boyfriend's retarded picture. Think about how much storage Mark have to use for store all of the comments and photos from over thousand millions users around the world. I'm not wonder if one day the server for facebook would be down and all the photos gone without notify. People half the world would cry.

3. Organization intranet: I don't know whether you can register the courses online via internet or check your bank account online or not. But this is also kinds of cloud computing.

4. Visual machine: this is most conventional definition of Cloud Computing, where the clients can excess to certain program (legally) via the Internet connection. When I did internship at University of Maryland, I could use Origin from my computer via Visual machine, no need to install it (and I can't, I can publish data programed by illegal software). All I need is download visual machine platform and run whatever program I want.


So now, let's move to something that you might not know about them.


5. Google documents: I really like this application! Where you can crate documents or presentation slides on google website and give link to other team workers to access to this document and even real time edit it! You can talk to your teammates via small chat box and see their access log. However, I learnt that, even this application is perfectly useful for my team in Hong Kong (where I went exchange) but it is suck when I use it with my team in Thailand (my homeschool).
Check it out! docs.google.com/


6. Dropbox: I use another web server provider for document storage, but this website is very applicable for people who are looking for! My teacher upload the lecture notes on this website and send the email to her students to download it prior the class. And what I do is download it onto my iPad and open it in the class. Such a wonderful combination! (and save the environment by reducing the usage of papers).
Check it here. www.dropbox.com/


7. Wolfram alpha: How intelligent of your calculator? Basic calculator can do algebra, and scientific calculator can do finite integral. But Wolfram Alpha is more than that, this engine can do the infinite integral, find the derivative of two or more variables, actual it shows every thing that you can ask mathematically from certain expression.

Recently, I have checked the additional function of Wolfram, they added some sweet applications such as, what did happen in past 100 years when I fill "25 Nov 1988" (but not my birthday--how sad), or "Adam" is the seventh most common name in US.
Let have fun. www.wolframalpha.com/



Now you might have better picture how close this technology is. And I might need to change the title, your computer is not on the cloud, but now everything is floating around us, and we are IN the cloud.




PS.Sorry that I forget to add sources for photos, I respect all the creature of these photos and thank you very much for your kind Charity.


PS2. I'm not computer guy, if you know, please correct my understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers