Sunday, February 6, 2011

Inception: Alternative Conclusion

It is six months late since Noland's inception came to the theater and finally went to DVDs. I intended to watch this movie since I first saw the synopsis from the director, Dream Thief. Previously I had chance to watch it during my flight to Hong Kong, however, it is in English and I quitted the movie because I can’t really understand at all.

Later, I watched it in Thai language (feeling sad that I miss the chance to practice my English, but I prefer to understand the story, laugh). As you know, this is one of the best thriller/Sci-fi/Action movies in this year, the concept is comparable to the Matrix and the actors are very professional. Undoubtedly, I go through online discussion about the conclusion of the movie, whether Cobb (Leonardo) wakes up to actual reality or not. Someone says his spintop stops and he wakes up, someone says not. But consider this, I have alternative different conclusion.

The key is “Mr.Seito”.



In the first scene, Cobbs goes to meet Seito at his private apartment and have some conversation about return to youth. Later, the movie goes through the inception mission. Seem not that bad, but one clue that I’ve heard from Mr.Seito that he promises to Cobbs that he want to return to youth time again.

Why he says that?

So, this is my alternative conclusion to this movie. Seito himself is old man since very beginning of the story, and he asked Cobbsto create the dream for him so he can become young again. Throughout the inception mission is just a big tricky dream that Cobb creates to this person. Then when the dream end?



Even at the airport, it is so weird that there is no date on the VISA stamp, and Seito looks around 40’ish, so I don’t think that is the reality. So I think reality started at when Cobb finally meet his father and his family again. I read one spoiled interview from Sir Michael Caine (Cobbs’ father), he claim that only the very last scene (at home) is real.
 ref: http://gizmodo.com/5651826/inception-ending-revealed-by-sir-michael-caine


In my opinion, I also own my theory of dream. I can say I am a big dreamer and dream theorist even I haven’t study about it scientifically. Inception is the way that you can plant any ideas into other people’s mind; to induce someone to believe, to trust, or even love you (haha! And I know someone who can strongly protect himself from my inception as well). You might not need the chemical wire connection in order to tide the dream world together, just simply by sharing the same experience, or even the same input like words/pictures/sounds, that is the simplest way to share the same dream (and idea).


I have had, at most, four layers of dreams within dreams; it is about my ex make a confession to me, later I recognized that is just my wish—my dream and I wake up. So I met him again, for four time, until I realize that this dream is very scary and I might not be able to wake up again. Since that day, I never seriously dream anymore (thanks god!). In my opinion, dream is just a fragment of thought that remain in your bedtime, and mostly from your subconscious wish. Be frankly, I often dream of my senior project and my graduate school’s life. That’s hilariously serious.


One of my favorite cover version of "Nelly's Just a dream" by Sam Tsui.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers